Popularly known as ‘Dhing Express’, Hima Das is a 21-year-old Indian sprinter from the state of Assam. Born on 9th January 2000, Hima Das holds many positions representing India. Moreover, she became the first Indian woman athlete to win a gold medal in any format of a global track event at the IAAF World U20 Championships. At Present, Appointed as Deputy Superintendent Of Police (DSP) in Assam Police on 26 February 2021.
Hima Das Journey
The athlete was born in Kandhulimari village, Dhing in Nagaon district of Assam. Hima Das is the daughter of Ronjit Das and Jomali, the youngest of six children. She was interested in sports since childhood, but the financial struggles were the hurdles in her athletics career. However, the then 18-year-old Hima Das always wanted to play football. But Nipon Das, a coach associated with the Directorate of Sports and Youth Welfare, spotted her talent and took her under his wing in 2017.
However, with barely any training, Hima won the 100m bronze at the state meet and hence made it to the Junior National Championships finals. Her athletics career began from here and the future had many achievements waiting for her.
Also Read: Where is Harshad Mehta Family Now?
The very fierce and strong lady of India set various records in the world with her extraordinary athletics skills. The records set by Hima Das are as follows:
Records in July 2019
- 02-07-2019: Hima Das achieved the 200m gold in Poznan Athletics Grand Prix in Poland in 23.65 seconds.
- 07-07-2019: Hima Das won the 200m gold at the Kutno Athletics Meet in Poland in 23.97 seconds.
- 13-07-2019: Das won 200m gold at the Kladno Athletics Meet in the Czech Republic in 23.43 seconds.
- 17-07-2019: Das won a gold medal in the 200m race at Tabor Athletics Meet Czech Republic in 23.25 seconds.
- 20-07-2019: Das won a gold medal in the 400-meter event in Nove Mesto, Czech Republic, in 52.09 seconds.
Records in July 2018
- Hima Das won a silver medal in the 4×400-metre mixed relay at the Asian Games in 2018.
- She won the 400 m final at the World U-20 Championships 2018 at Tampere in Finland by clocking 51.46 seconds, in July 2018.
- Das set an Indian U20 record of 51.32 seconds to finish sixth in the Commonwealth Games 400m final in Gold Coast in April 2018.
Hima Das appointed as DSP
Adding on to the list of achievements and responsibilities, on 26 February 2021, Hima Das was appointed as Deputy Superintendent Of Police (DSP) in Assam Police. Above all, Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal honored her with a badge. DSP Hima Das will be posted in Guwahati.
The 21-year-old DSP of Assam revealed that she dreamt of becoming a police officer since her childhood.
“I got everything due to sports, I will try to work for the betterment of sports in the state and try to make Assam one of the best performing states in the country, like Haryana,” she said. “I will diligently work for Assam police but I must say sport will never take a back seat.” Hima added added.
Interesting Facts about Hima Das
- The first Indian sprinter to win a gold medal at an international track event.
- Hima signed an endorsement deal with the international brand Adidas.
- On 25, September 2018, Das has been awarded the Arjuna Award by the President of India.
- Additionally, Das was appointed as India’s first-ever youth ambassador of UNICEF-India in November 2019.
- The government of Assam appointed Das as the Brand Ambassador of Sports.
With such great worldwide achievements at such young age, Das is an inspiration to the youth. May she carry on the great responsibilities with pride and dignity and bring more golds to the nation and make India proud!
Also Read: Life of a student in lockdown
Follow us on: Twitter
Follow us on: Facebook
Read Everyday Blogs at Daily Blog Day